This week I don't have anything too much to report. It has not been so
busy or eventful. Monday we didn't even go to home evening. I sewed
and Denis read. After work Denis is beat if it has been a hot day. He
has been doing hard physical work like digging with a shovel. I get to
sew in the afternoon which is so nice. The room has air conditioning
and I can get cooled off. The Hawaiian women sit in jackets because
they are cold. Tuesday after work we went for a ride and got a shaved
ice. They are so good! They pour sweetened condensed milk over the
shaved ice and ice cream.
One day this week when we got to Give and
Take there was a kid waiting for us. He was an American who had been
over here from California living on the beach. His desire is to become a
professional surfer. He has been here for about 6 months. His
belongings had been stolen the night before and the cops had towed his
vehicle away also. He said he had nothing but his swim trunks and t-
shirt. I asked him how old he was. He said 22 yrs. old. I told him he
needed to go home to his mother. I offered him my cell phone to call
her but he said he would later. The other lady and I were giving him
the 12th degree. We learned he had joined the church 4 months before
here in Hawaii. He said he needed some clothes to wear. We let him go
look for some and what he got was a pair of Levis and a pair of church
pants and a white shirt and tie. I had seen him at church before
because I remembered his Justin Beiber hair do. We could not decide if
he was all truthful or not. We got him some toothpaste and different
things to help him out. I asked him if he had eaten and he said "No". I
finally gave him some money and told him it was strictly for food and
nothing else. I told him I hoped he was telling me the truth. He
thanked us and left. Today we saw him at the church building in his
church clothes. I hope he goes home to his mom.
We went to the temple
this week--crowded as usual but nice and cool inside. When one comes
out of the temple at dark it is the most beautiful sight. You look down
about 4 blocks of street that has been lined with lights and flowering
shrubs, as well as a beautiful lighted water fountain out in front. It
takes your breath away it is so pretty. Friday night we finally sat on
the beach with some other couples and just visited and put our feet in
the sand. After we went to a outdoor restaurant and had some nachos and
dip.
The weekend goes by so fast. Saturday we went grocery shopping
and I picked up some things for the girls home-making night on
Saturday. Today at church we heard from a boy who lives in Ghana, and 2
girls from Hong Kong and Tonga. I had the thought of how lucky I am to
hear kids testimonies from all of these different countries. In Relief
Society the teacher was from Thailand. I swear she is Chelsey Allen's
twin sister. She looks and acts just like her. So full of energy and
spit and vinegar. Her skin is a little browner but even Denis remarked
about how she looks just like Chelsey.
This week we got a graduation
announcement from our oldest granddaughter, Sydni. I can't believe she
is that old. I have thought a lot about her since her birth and of all
of her struggles and effort she has put forth in life, but to Syd
everything is just awesome and she loves everyone. She is such an
example to all of us. We just love her.
It is pouring rain outside --
good for sleeping. I will sign off and send my love to all of you--Sherleen
I'm glad you helped that kid out,even if he was lieing you will be blessed for it :) love reading your posts! Love you!
ReplyDeleteThe shaved ice sounds fabulous!
ReplyDeleteThe Summers told me you were writing a mission blog, so I added you to my list. It sounds like you are loving your mission!
ReplyDelete