Monday, August 12, 2013

8-12-13

Today is our 5 month anniversary.  Only 13 months left.  We know the time has flown by but on the other hand it seems so long before we get to see our kids and grandkids.  This weekend has been good because it has rained since Friday.  The winds have blown and it has been cool.  Today the sun has shone off and on.  

Tonight we got some bad news from our missionary friends, the Reynolds.  Gary has been sick off and on for about 1 month.  The doctor said it was infected sinuses.  He thought he had a toothache and has been dealing with headaches.  Wednesday he started to throw up and got worse since then.  Denis and another missionary friend administered to him last night but today he was worse.  He was slurring his words and was kind of drifting in and out of consciousness.  They took him to the hospital and took some x-rays and tests.  Thought it may be spinal meningitis.  Kathy called us a few minutes ago and said they think it is a tumor on the brain.  They will know more after the MRI.  I sure hope somehow it will be good news and not the worst.  They are a fun couple to be with.
 I was going to work on Monday and passed the entrance to PCC and saw two white haired men with their seats in the air.  I looked again and it looked like Denis.  I turned around and snuck up on them and took this picture before they even knew it.  They were fixing the spotlights at all of the entrances.




I took this next picture for Shari.  They have been transplanting flowers at the entrance of BYU Hawaii for the summer heat.  All planned out and very neatly done by big Polynesains who are tip-toeing through the flowers.  Good mission for you Shari.
At Give and Take we have a flock of little chickens that we feed daily and they stay around.  Only problem is there are mongoose that live under the trailers.  A little chicken got killed by one.  We asked the maintanance to  come and trap the mongoose.  The next day he came back and there was 2 mongoose in one trap and a cat in the other trap.  The poly said he had his lunch and dinner for the day.  He is going to come back because we have seen more of the mongoose.
In our neighborhood we have got some more homeless people.  I was telling Denis I have seen 2 more that I don't recognize up at the corner.  They hang around the 2 women that must be homeless but have been here for months.  We were reading in the paper about the homeless people here on Oahu.  They said there are 17,000 at least.  The government is going to offer one-way tickets off of the island to help get rid of them.  I think we have seen a few at Give and Take.

Denis and I went over to Koneohe on Wednesday after work.  I wanted some material and he wanted to go onto a Marine base over there.  We didn't go into the grocery store but we went into the department store.  It was really nice and clean.  I want to go back and do some shopping. 
Scott, the landlord put up a screen door for me so I can leave the door open and get some breeze from that.  It is wonderful but I worry about a little gap between the door and the cement.  Big enough for lizards and bugs.  I want Denis to figure out some way to fix that.  The weeks go by fast and we stay busy working for the Lord by serving others. 

One more thing.  Our two little grandsons, who are both 14, had big events this weekend.  Bridger turned 14 and was ordained a teacher yesterday.  Broc got permission to Skype his ordination so we were able to see that happen.  Broc and his father did it.  Grandma was crying before that was done.  And Chance had the opportunity to go to Salt Lake and be in an advertisement for T.V.  It was an ad about being a better you (sounds kind of like the church ads).  They had 3 kids stand there acting like students getting awards for things they had done.  Chance said they did 7 takes and finished it in about 3 hours.  He got paid for doing it.  He was really excited.  My little grandsons are growing up.  I can't hold them anymore on my lap but I can still tickle their backs.  Have a good week and keep in touch with us.  I worry about people forgetting us.  
Love, Sherleen

2 comments:

  1. Mother, I think the plural of 'mongoose' is 'mongeese'. Just had to correct your grammar. Just joking, I have no idea. I didn't know they were able to skype it, that's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sherleen! I didn't know they had mongeese(?) in Hawaii. Are they pests? What about a little weather stripping on the bottom of your door? Or couldn't you just sew one of those snake things that you put in the door when it is winter to keep the cold out? Just my goofy ideas. Glad you are well. xo Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!