This week was supposed to be an exciting week. Monday we were to have a
hurricane. I was all excited for it. We went to work just like normal
but by 10 A.M. is was raining and very gray and cloudy. Not much wind
but it was supposed to hit in the afternoon. They closed down the
Polynesian Center and told everyone to go home. When we went home the
air was very still and very hot. Denis said it felt like a pressure
cooker getting ready to burst. We went to the store and bought milk and
got our landlord some ice. They were out tying everything that moved
down so it would not blow away. Denis just sat around and read and I
made some rolls and sewed. The apartment was quite warm but we kind of
enjoyed a day off. Nothing happened and later on still nothing happened. I
was kind of disappointed. We went to bed and all was still and no rain
yet. Next day everything was back to normal. The hurricane hit Honolulu a little and the island of Maui. They said Maui got a lot of wind and
rain.
Tuesday night we took tickets for the luau and came home. We
didn't stay to eat. On Wednesday, I really showed my better self. We were over
at Give and Take and in walks a student with a clip board and a
measuring tape. He asked if he could take some measurements for installing solar
panels on our buildings. Someone was gifting money to us and that is what the university decided to do with it. Now mind you, all they are are trailers off of
semis with a door and a window cut into them. They leak, the windows
leak, and we have to lay towels around and bowls to catch the rain. Our
power source is an extension cord which goes to I don't know where. We
have a couple of light bulbs when we need light and a couple of broken
fans for air circulation. I had a fit! I asked him if he would first
fix the holes in the ceilings and windows and then check out our hot
water, our air conditioning and all of the lighting that we use. He
kept saying that it wouldn't cost us anything because someone was
donating the solar panels. I told him further more if they really did
install them I would go clear to the top to find out the donors name
and tell him the college was completely wasting his money. We can't even
get a decent fan to use. I was so mad I started to cry and for some
reason I couldn't stop crying. The sad thing was that a lot of
townspeople were shopping in the trailer and saw how this missionary
sister behaved. One of the ladies just kept laughing and thought it was
so funny. The next day I was a little embarrassed.
Friday a kid from
Fiji came into Give and Take and told us about the marriage that goes on
at the Fiji village everyday at 3:30. Kathy and I decided to go see it
because we had never seen it before. We went and here are some of the
pictures that I took.
 |
| Bridegroom dancing before the wedding ceremony |
 |
| The groom and bride dating supposedly |
 |
| Mother in tan cloth helping her daughter prepare for the wedding |
 |
| Bride in skirt that stands out |
 |
| Bride & groom ready for the ceremony |
 |
| The Wedding ceremony |
Friday night 4 couples met at a home and had
pizza and got to know a new couple from Arizona. He works with Denis doing the electrical.
They seem quite laid back and can be funny. They are still trying to
adjust.
Saturday morning was the New Zealand Devotional for the
missionaries. They give us breakfast and have a program with their
testimonies and singing. Very impressive. I can't help but think of
Jeremy on his mission there. I want to ask each one of them if they
know him but then I think they probably were only 5 or 6 yrs. old when he was there.
 |
| The New Zealand Village |
 |
| Jeremy on top of the New Zealand Church (not really but maybe he can identify with it!) |
The
president of PCC is from New Zealand. They had a little man who was
from New Zealand speak. He started serving Service Missions in 1960 and
went to Tonga and worked for the church. He was sent here about 1965
to start building on the Polynesian Center. He says he remembers the
kids from the different countries dancing in the main street in Laie
showing the people the ways of their countries. He has helped build the
temple and enlarge the campus and PCC, doing this most of his life. He
loves the PCC and all it stands for and the history that is told in all
of the little villages.
Sunday we went to church and had testimony
bearing . Always makes me cry when I hear their humble testimonies. I
taught Sunday School and the lesson was on Sacrifice. The kids are so
cute in our class. They are all examples of true sacrifice when they
leave their homes and families to better themselves and do not go home
for 2-3 years, depending on how poor their families are. I feel so
inadequate compared to them. Our Elder Palmer and his wife are leaving
in 1 1/2 weeks. They are going to New Zealand for a couple of weeks.
He went there on a mission and has never been back. They are really
good people and everyone hates to see them go.
 |
| Elder & Sister Palmer, with Halina (sister missionary from Switzerland) in the middle. |
It is bedtime and so I
will close. Have a good week! Love Sherleen
I have NEVER laughed so hard as the thought of you cussing out that poor student! I can't imagine how frustrated you must have felt. I hope you get a new fan for your trouble! xo Bonnie
ReplyDeleteThanks for the letter for Sierra. It made her day! She will email you more details!