Monday, September 23, 2013

9-23-13

Today is Sunday and we have spent all day at the hospital.  Our friend Gary ended up back in the hospital Friday.  He had a cough and a cold in his chest, we thought.  They thought he had pneumonia but that wasn't it.  He was having a hard time breathing.  Many tests have been done and they can not find the cause of the infection.  He has almost quit breathing so the Dr. has put him on a ventilator.  He has been given medication to totally put him out.  Kathy is so upset but I feel better now that they have ruled out the heart for having the infection.  They think it has come from the brain but can not find where it is now.  Kathy's girls are coming over Tuesday.  She is so funny, the Dr. will be talking to her and she will tell him to find all of the cock roaches that are in Gary's head, just joking around.  He looks at her like "Are you for real lady?" 

This week it has been cooler in the evenings and thru the nights.  Has rained more and cooled things down.  I think maybe we have gotten thru the worst of the season for having no winds and higher temperatures.
This is the new Aloha center that they just finished for luaus.  It will seat about 600 people.
This is the stage where they perform for the Aloha program.

These next two pictures are the dancers that are the kings court.  Notice the guy in the front with a wide paper skirt on.  He hula's for the king.

This is the guy dancer standing with Denis.
This week in costumes I have repaired the giant sail a couple of times and made these short grass skirts which are worn over sulus for the boys.  Interesting to see how the costumes are made.  I have made some little stuffed turtles and are working on Mary and Josephs at home.  Denis has been working hard in different buildings pulling wire and replacing it.  He comes home just drenched in sweat. 
Take a look at this old machine.  It is what I sew on in costumes.  Notice the no paint on it.
Today when we went to get into the car there was a huge cane spider.  It was about 5-6 inches big.  Their legs are brown and hairy.  Scott (our landlord) says they jump and crawl real fast.  We couldn't get it and it went under my seat.  I told him I would not get into the car until he found it.  He sprayed some roach spray and it came out all crumpled up but then it went back under the car seat.  I sat with my skirt around my knees all the way to the hospital.  One more bug on my list that I do not like.

I am getting excited for next Sat. My sisters and their husbands are coming to spend 2 weeks with us.  I hope they have a good time.  We will take some time off but they will have to be alone some of the time also.  They are staying at Turtle Bay which is 15 minutes away from us.

We are becoming  adjusted to Hawaiian life and enjoying it more.  Still miss my family but I am sure we will look back and think what a good time it was.  Cameron got engaged on Saturday so we may be coming home for a wedding.  Have a good week. 
Love, Sherleen

4 comments:

  1. Grandma, Do you have to pedal that ancient sewing machine? Jumping spiders? Gross! I hope you get to come home for Christmas and Cam's wedding. I miss you terribly. Love you immensely Sydni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cole wants to see a picture of the spider! Gross!!!! I'm glad you are adjusting. We will be sending letters soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Cam! Finally!! How fun that you'll get to come home. I feel bad for your friend and his health. Nothing worse than being far away from home and sick. Love love love your blog! Thanks for keeping it up (Kelly!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also hate those spiders! I love the old Bernina! Of course it is still sewing! Wish I could sneak in Kate's suitcase and come visit! It's getting nice and cool here...my favorite time of year. The cows are starting to come home so I am starting to be real busy again. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!