Monday, November 11, 2013

11-11-13

Today it has been so cloudy and rainy.  I just wanted to stay in bed all day and do nothing.  I even had to turn off the fans and put footies on my feet.  Yesterday Denis and I went to town and bought groceries and went to Mililani  to Walmart.  It was raining so hard that we sat inside the store for about 20 minutes.  We finally decided to make a run for it to the car.  We were really wet and my feet were dripping.  Those shopping days seem to take all day.  

Last week was a good week.  We caught 7 rats in 1 week.  Every day we go into Costumes and check the traps.  Friday there was a rat still kicking when Fatou checked it.  We then call Denis and Elder Nielsen to come and dispose of them and set another trap.  Some days we are afraid they will come out of the junk sitting around and climb up our skirts.  I worked with a senior lady missionary who is learning to make the little clay figures with me.  She really likes it and is doing a good job so now I won't have so much pressure to work on them by myself.  

Friday night about 12 senior couples got together and had a good old American dinner of baked potatoes and grilled chicken because a senior couple is going home next week.  You make good friends and then they leave!  Good things for memories.  

This is a studio apt. on the 2nd floor on Laie Point.  You can see the ocean really well from their windows.  This couple is the couple leaving.  They had written a song to the tune of Downtown by Petula Clark only theirs was called Town Run.  They work in the warehouse and go to Honolulu 3 times a week for supplies for the PCC.  It described their job to a T and was just so cute, went to the tune and beat.
There are a lot of little Filipino kids in our ward.  Today several of them were very worried about their families and if they were o.k.  They can not get a hold of anyone to tell them about the situation.  One little girl that we just love has family right in the area of the disaster.  She said they had a well built home but what can stand 160 mile winds?  

Tonight the Bishop called Denis to see it we can take another little girl to the airport on Wednesday.  Her mother is very sick (in Taiwan ) and she needs to go home.  We will learn more about the situation when we get her.  
This picture was taken from my dining room window this morning showing the waves from all of the winds.  All day long I could hear the ocean roar.
 Kate and her girls had a family baby shower for Jade and all of the little nieces and daughters and granddaughters went.  I tried not to think too much about it because those are the times I get lonely for family.  Tomorrow will be 8 months done.  Time is really going fast, but sometimes not fast enough.  I really do enjoy our mission.  I love the other missionaries and the kids at BYU Hawaii.  I am sure this will be one of our favorite times of our lives.  Have a good week and be safe.  
Love, Sherleen 

1 comment:

  1. Sherleen! I can't imagine hearing the ocean roar and how that would be. I feel for the kids that have family in the Phillipines. What a storm! Glad you are all well. Sure do miss you. We just had Young Women's in Excellence. It was good as always to hear the girls talk. They have grown so much since I was put in 4 years ago!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!