Monday, April 14, 2014

4-14-14

Back to work after a good vacation with our kids.  We hated to see them go but the sooner we get back to work the sooner our days will be done here so we can go home.  We really do enjoy ourselves here with all of the other missionary friends and all of the experiences we are having here at the Polynesian Cultural Center but it seems surreal.  Seems like we have lived here for a long time and our home is just a memory but yet on the other hand it seems like we have been here for just a little while. 
The kids got home on Sunday morning and then they had to travel from Boise to Logan after that.  They were all tired and ready for a vacation from their vacation.  All had a good time and have recovered from their sunburns.  We made good memories and I have spent a week reliving them in my mind.
Sunday was conference so we sat around and listened to it.  I didn't even clean.  Too tired!  I don't think we even left the little apartment.  Yes we did.  We had Break the Fast with the missionaries.  Everyone brings a dish according to our assignment and I had a salad.  Always good old American food.  No one does soy sauce  or teriyaki sauce.  Lots of families of the missionaries were there.  We eat, visit, and go home.
Monday morning came and I was glad to go back to work.  First thing, TuTu tells me to check the closet.  I opened it and guess what!  Two rats, head to head in the trap.  We called the rat patrol ( Denis and Grant) to come collect.  We named them Romeo and Juliet.  Dead with one slam of the trap.  They were our 17th and 18th rats we have caught in the costumes department.  If we only knew how many eyes probably watch us every day!  Tuesday morning there was another rat in the trap.  Our 19th one dead.  No more all the rest of the week.  I think the rats tell the other ones of the dangerous traps.
Romeo & Juliet
This week in costumes we have put new zippers in about 10 old costumes trying to revive them for the promotional team that is going to Japan.  The zippers were metal, a bit rusted.  You know how old they were.  We washed them, put in zippers and ironed them and they looked almost better than what they are wearing.  They are trying to save money, which is good.
Wednesday was Kathy Tremea's birthday (missionary) and TuTu's was Thursday (Samoan lady who works in costumes)  I baked a cake and got ice cream and we had a little party for them at work.  We do not think about all of the rat germs as we eat!
Kathy & Tu
That night Kathy's husband had cake and ice cream for her with 6 other couples and we just visited and laughed together.  We are the next to go home out of that group.
On Thursday TuTu's children brought in pizza and cake for us to celebrate her birthday.  She has raised 6 kids without a husband.  She is the one whose home burned down in October.  Sure sounds like we work a lot---doesn't it?
Friday afternoon Denis and I went to Koneohe to see about trading for another rental car.  The one we had was so hard to get out of and the wind shield wipers did not work.  This time we got a Altima 2013.  A lot nicer car and bigger.  The adjuster has not even been to see the old one yet.  No hurry but we decided we are not in a hurry either if we can drive this nice car.
Saturday I stayed home and finished cleaning, washing and making my little clay people.  Just relaxed.  Denis went back to Koneohe to buy a used tire for our old car that I tore on the rock wall.  We did tickets at PCC.  It was very full last night because it was graduation day for the students.  We lost some really good kids in our ward.  Some have been here the whole time and have not gone home.  They get really excited to go see family.
Today in church I taught the lesson on the Atonement.  I was nervous about it anyway because I don't understand it that well (especially the mercy and justice thing.)  Besides that, 2 sets of parents were visiting and I had 2 Bishopric members in there.  I think the lesson was for me because it helped me understand it much better.  In order for us to accept the atonement we must have faith in the Lord and our Father in Heaven, repent of our sins, be baptized, receive the Holy Ghost and obey the commandments.  Simple as that.  I had 3 boys do a role play about justice and mercy and I even understood that better.  After church we had a linger longer.  Those poor kids seem starved to death.  We had lasagna and salad and rolls.  One of the Bishopric's members sons was married yesterday so he brought a big round section of their wedding cake and shared it.  It all tasted good but a lot of work for the leaders. 
I asked Denis what he has done new this week but his reply was, " I pay $3000.00 a month to screw in light bulbs!"  I think he needs a change in his work.  Between him and Grant there is about 60 years of electrical experience and all they do is screw in bulbs.  The 2 young ones do all the other jobs.  
Denis on the cherry picker they use to change light bulbs
 Broc sent him pictures on his phone of the Coopers burning down the old homestead of his grandma and grandpa's home in Mt. Sterling on Saturday.  
The old Cooper homestead


I think a lot of memories have passed through his mind in the last 24 hours about all the good times they had out there with his relatives.  We always have our memories, no one can take those away.  Have a good week.  
Love, Sherleen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!