Wednesday, March 13, 2013

ALOHA!

We have been here 2 days now.  I am starting to get a little tired!  We got here Monday at about 3:30 p.m.  Our plane was delayed for about 4 hours in San Francisco so we just sat and waited.  I watched the people.  A lot of strange ones out there!  
The senior couple met us at the airport and had beautiful leis for us.  They smelled so good and were cold from the fridge or wherever they had kept them.  It really felt good around my neck.  
Flower leis given to us at the airport
The apartment is so nice and clean and bigger than we had pictured.
 We came to our apartment and were introduced to the family who lives below and owns it also.  They are a very nice family.  He is a mainlander and she is Hawaiian.  They have 5 children.  They have 4 girls- which are 8, 11, 16 and 18.  The son is on a mission to Pennsylvania.  The little girls are so cute.  We have already bonded.  They helped me put the groceries away yesterday and sampled several things.  The littlest girl's job is to gather the eggs from 7 chickens which live below my kitchen and dining room windows.  I can hear them cluck all day.  I was talking to them yesterday out the window and the 2 little girls were watching me over in the corner of the yard.  I was a little embarrassed to know they were watching me.  Mary says I can help her gather the eggs.  

Denis and I just got back from an orientation class.  There is another one tomorrow afternoon.  We could hear the drums beating and the kids chanting at the PCC doing their thing for the tourists.  Monday night we went to a fireside which Michael Ballam was speaking at.  He told about making the movie for the temple where he played Satan.  He was very interesting and remembered date after date when things happened.  We had been up for 22 hours and Denis was ready for bed so we went right after he spoke.  Our bed was a little soft, in fact, a whole lot soft.  It is not my Intelli-gel bed!  I hope we get used to it.  

Tuesday, which was yesterday Elder Palmer brought a big welcome basket full of fruit and snacks.  That was nice, since it was all we had to eat.  

Then we went over to an army base to check out used cars and to go check prices at the commissary.  I was so excited because prices were not too different from the stores at home.  Some a little more and some things were less.  Gas is $4.34 a gal.  On the base it was $4.12.  We went to a Walmart store which was a little more expensive, but the problem is they don't have super Walmarts over here.  Maybe 3-4 aisles of food.  The closest Walmart store and  commissary is about 1 hour away.  Not that far but it is a 2 lane road with houses and cars right on the edge of the road,  It follows the ocean and it is beautiful.  The other side of the road is lush greenery. 



Right now it has clouded over and is cool.  The fans are going in the apt. and it is really nice.  I am just lonesome for some little kids!  I am going to try and put on some pictures so we will see what happens. 
Love to all of you--I already miss you.  
Sherleen

9 comments:

  1. So excited to see this! I am looking forward to many more posts and pictures:) I am just so happy for you two!!
    Joei

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed with your blogging skills! Can't wait to read more, keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if my last comment worked or not. Glad you guys are doing well. Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you posted pictures! I'm glad you like your apartment and that it's...CLEAN lol. Glad you made it safe lots of love Jalane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings Sis and Coop!!!
    Congrats on your new adventure!! 1. I'm shocked, surprised and happy for you!
    Shocked - because you'll actually be living somewhere besides buckville.
    Surprised - to see you've learned how to use a camera AND the computer to blog with (BTW - I want to see lots of pics - I like looking a pics) The next big challenge will be to take some short videos and post them to your blog!
    Happy - because you're in for a Grand Adventure (after all the walmart isn't a SUPER walmart ;-O).
    Tell Coop to take pics of what he is doing and post/blog about his adventure as well.
    I'm looking forward to reading several posts each week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mother talking to chickens. Shocking. Reminds me of It's a Small World when she waved at all the dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you made it safe and sound. Looks like it's going to be a fun mission. Glad to see you are posting about it. Hope we can continue to follow your goings-on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks beautiful, wish I was there. Take things easy, sounds like you are super busy. Deaun

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are glad you are safe and well! Keep talking to those chickens...it makes good eggs! Good job on the pictures! It looks amazing.
    xo Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!