Monday, March 17, 2014

3-17-14

This week has had beautiful weather.  I could take this all year long.  The sun is shining but not too hot or humid.  Sometimes the rain and clouds come but only for a little while.  I don't know if I have been a little down because Brady is getting married on Saturday or because my side-kick Cathy has not been with me all week.  Her kids are here and so she has taken the week off.  I have been alone.  Its funny how you get used to someone by your side all day long. 
 
I have put in zippers, mended the sail, sewed up seams from costumes from the Breath of Life show every day.  When I am done with this I usually have a project to do making different things for costumes.  I love learning how to weave leaves, sew on seashells to clothes, making headdresses, etc.
 
Wednesday they had the going away party for my good friend Halina Radzik from Switzerland.  She is a beautiful, very classy woman who has had 3 kids and raised them by herself.  She married a German who did not like her joining the church and was not a good example to her children.  She finally divorced him and worked and supported her kids.  When she came on this mission she sold everything she had and packed up her belongings.  She is going back to stay with a daughter in another town until she decides where to live and what to do.  Many of the sisters sold their homes and cars and belongings to be able to come on a mission.  I really admire them for that.  That is giving your all for the Lord.  We took Halina out for supper on Friday night and visited with her for awhile.  I will miss her a lot.  I worked with her at Give and Take.  So will Denis because he will have no bike to fix, no t.v. to look at and no chirping smoke alarm to fix for her. 
Halina at her going away party.  Two single missionaries behind her.
A girl dancing at Halina's party
It is the custom to put dollar bills in their clothes to help the one who they are dancing for. She worked with Halina.

Halina and all her leis giving a going away speech.
Sunset at Turtle Bay.  We went out for supper at the outside cafe there.  If you look close you can see surfers.
Saturday they had ground breaking for the new Marriott.  It is to be built right by the PCC.  A lot of the people who live here are not happy about it because it is turning their little town into a city.  Signs are all over expressing their concerns.  It will be more convenient for people who don't have to go clear to Honolulu for a hotel.  The trick will be to get a room far enough ahead of time.
Breaking the ground for the Marriott
Saturday morn early at 6:30,  the kids were Facetiming us so we could watch Brady's wedding.  We woke up, still laying in bed, watching the whole wedding.  We did not realize we were being seen on the screen of Kelly's iPad.  The girls kept saying to me to go fix my hair and how awful I looked (that part was Mekenzie!).   I just thought I was down in the little square on the bottom of the screen.  During the ceremony Brandon e-mailed Denis to sit up and look awake.  Goodnight! They had us on the screen laying in bed!  Denis' reply was, "Joke's on us!"  I was so embarrassed to think everyone saw us laying in bed with sleepers in our eyes and hair a mess. 
 
Anyway, Brady and Stacey seemed real happy and I am glad he finally has his little family to take care of.  I hope his patience will improve and he will enjoy life.  I am so happy he has Stacey to take care of him now.  (She really has for 6 years)  Everyone seemed to enjoy the wedding and the good food.  We are looking forward to them coming in 2 weeks.

Jeff and Trudy Hancey are coming this Thursday for 1 week.  They have a nice place to stay right next to the ocean.  I am sure they will enjoy themselves.

Today was Stake Conference.  Elder Snow from the quorum of the Seventies was here with his wife and the Temple Pres. and his wife were speakers.  They all spoke and did very good.  The custom here is to give every visitor a lei.  When all was done and the prayer is said the congregation sings "Aloha 'oe" to them.  It is always very emotional and such a pretty song.  We sing in their language and then in English.  I always get a little teary - eyed.  Our 2nd counselor who is a Hawaiian (sings like Elvis Presley) led us in the song.  Got home at noon and had lunch.  I had a good nap and read.  Enjoyed the day.    Have a good week.  
Love, Sherleen
P.S.  I want to thank my family and friends for all the love and support that you give my kids.  You don't know how much I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!