Weekends go so fast and Mondays come around even faster. This week has
been another whirlwind. We look forward to someone coming over for so
long and before we know they have come and gone. The Summers family came on
Wednesday and left today after church. We enjoyed their visit so much.
I
will start with Monday, which is always hard to get going. I keep telling
myself I am loving this place and not missing Hyrum. As I was walking
to the costume place I walk along the river that runs full length of the
PCC. I noticed the beautiful lily pad in the water and thought "How
could I not enjoy this place and all of its beauty?" I stopped to take a
picture and enjoy the moment. It helped my attitude a little.
| Lily pads at river on Polynesian Center |
We
continue to mend zippers, fix the 800 ft. sail and make new costumes for
the Ha, Breath of Life Show. This week we are making the things that
goes around the ankles and wrists. There are green (silk) plants that
look like a fern. We tear them apart a little bit, sew on ties that we
have made and glue down the plants again onto the bands. We are doing
136 of these. The next morning my hands were so sore I could hardly
bend them. The boss lady knew we would have sore hands so she gave us
something else to do that day. Tomorrow we will be back on that job.
| This is a short skirt worn over a long skirt. It is made of all shells and I bet weighs 20 lbs. |
Monday night 5 of the missionaries said their good-byes in home evening.
They are all leaving this week. We will miss them. Two of the couples
are people we like to do things with. Tuesday was work as usual.
Some days have been rainy but most of them have been sunny and nice with winds blowing to keep us cool. Denis and I cleaned our apt. for when
the Summers came the next night. Wednesday we worked for 1/2 day and
then went in the afternoon to the airport. Denis was so sure that Brian
would get lost if we didn't go down and lead the way home.
| Savannah at airport |
| Bonnie at the airport |
| Me hugging Brian-- doesn't he look comfortable with the hug? |
| The Summers family |
It was
still daylight so they got to see the pretty mountains and all of the
greenery and flowers. They came here and had supper and we enjoyed our
visit with them. I would meet them again on Friday at the Polynesian
Center at noon. Thursday we had to do tickets for the Luau but we
didn't stay to eat. I had to do meatballs in the crockpot for a party
in costumes and Denis' Maintenance Dept. had a party for the
missionaries leaving also. Parties, parties, parties!
Friday the PCC were honoring the people who had worked there for years ending in the 5's. Fatai, my boss in sewing had 25 years and Fatou was being honored for 35 years in costumes. She is the lady whose home burned downed and she lost everything. She tells us stories all the time about her life in Samoa and then Hawaii. She is a divorced mother of 6 children. Very strong in the church. She is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to knowing each country and how each costume should be for that country. They stay very true to the original costumes.
| Fatou- honored for 35 years. Works in the costumes with me. |
| Fatai-our boss lady in sewing. Worked there for 25 years. |
After the meeting they
fed us a brunch which is always the same food. Rice, rice and more
rice. Pork, fish, and chicken. By then I needed to go meet Bonnie and
her family at the front. They were going to spend the afternoon there
at the PCC and then attend the luau. I met them again at 7 P.M. to go
to the Theater with them. I pointed out all the things I had made and
mended etc. I am sure Bonnie and Savannah were excited about that.
Denis stayed home, he couldn't bear to see the Breath of Life again. Jackson was walking through the PCC and he heard someone yelling ,"Hey
Summers!" He couldn't imagine who it would be. A big dark Fijian who
was paddling the canoe recognized him and hollered over. He was one of
the missionaries in Jackson's mission. He was so excited to see him.
Like Jackson said, he thought he would never see him again. He took
Jackson, Courtney, Sierra, and Savannah for a canoe ride.
| The Summers coming into the entrance at the Polynesian Center. Their vacation rental was just across the street right by the ocean. |
Saturday
was a cool, rain, sun, rain, day. We stayed home and I thoroughly
enjoyed it. Got my hair cut, fried 15 lbs of hamburger for a Linger
Longer and made a cake for Break the Fast. Then Cameron called wanting Grandma
Larson's brown sugar pudding recipe which got me wanting some, so I made a pan
of that too. Also, yesterday was Cam's 34th birthday. I thought a lot about
him and his childhood. He was a good boy and easy to raise. We have
enjoyed him but I am so glad he is married and has a wife to take care
of him. He seems to be really happy!
Last night we met the Summers and sat
outside and had shrimp, rice and hamburgers and just visited. It was
such a nice evening and so relaxing. They were to fly out at 7 this
morning. I received a call from Bonnie about 7:15 A.M and she said they
had been bumped until tonight. The plane had been hit with lightning
and they had to inspect it. They rented the same car and came back to
go to church with us. I was so glad for them to be able to see the cute
kids and the university over here. They also stayed for the linger
longer and we had tacos, fruit and chips and dip. By then it was about 5
P.M. Brian was itching to get ready to go back to the airport. They
all were so tired and have gone so fast these last few days. They don't
let any grass grow under their feet. They saw a lot of things and did
much in their short time here. We were really glad they came.
I must close now and get ready for bed. Happy Birthday to my other son, Brady who will be 36 on the 4th. He was born on Grandpa Mark's birthday. Grandpa Mark would have been 92 yrs old. We miss him and his quiet ways that he had. Be good this week and be kind to others.
![]() |
| Cameron & Brady |
Love, Sherleen
Oh by the way, Brady was not as easy to raise as Cameron, he was another story but we love him too!
Oh by the way, Brady was not as easy to raise as Cameron, he was another story but we love him too!

Thanks so much for your hospitality! It was so much fun to be there with you guys and enjoy your company! Thanks for the food and the fun. We have lots of fun pics and I will get them posted soon! xoxo
ReplyDelete