Monday, March 10, 2014

3-10-14

Another busy week.  They all go by so fast.  Monday was a rainy day.  All week it has been off and on.  Rain one minute and sun the next.  Not too much wind.  Tuesday night after work we went with the Nielsens down to see the waves at some of the beaches.  Denis said they were suppose to be big high waves.  I asked someone what made the waves smooth or otherwise.  I guess the moon controls the waves.  She also told me it controls when the fish are good to spear at night or not.  When she was a little girl her daddy would take her out in the ocean and find the sleeping fish.  If the moon was only a partial moon the fish were not swimming but sleeping in the water.  That made it easy to spear the fish for food.  The wise old Polynesians read the moon and the stars which had a lot to do with the ocean, the fish and their way of life.

The waves were so big (about 15-25 ft. high) that all of the beaches were taped off for no swimming or even sitting on the beach.  The waves would come way up on the beach and were very strong.  I watched 2 little boys about 7-8 yrs old sit and watch the waves.  They informed us you had to know what you were doing to get in the water like that.  Pretty soon they went home and came back with their surf boards.  I watched them crawl under the tape and walk all along the beach.  I heard a life guard call one of them by name and tell him he had to be real careful.  Pretty soon I could see their little heads bobbing in the ocean.  I watched them for a long time.  I was pretty nervous for them but I don't know what I would have done if they hadn't come up.  They needed their little bottoms paddled for disobeying the signs.
Sunset Beach
We went down to Sunset beach and watched the waves there.  The little old cat lady is back, only in a different spot.  The bandages on her legs were gone.  She looked a little better.  Her cats are fat and she sat with a long stick shooing away the birds.  I saw a lady talking to her.  Maybe one day I will try to talk to her.  She really has me curious about her life and how she got to that point. 
As we were sitting there here came a few boys pulling a big motor and had a big rubber tube.  We watched them for quite a while.  They put the motor on the edge of the water with a rope  hooked to the tube.  The tube was on the other edge of the water.  They would start the motor which pulled the tube up a ramp like a skate board ramp and send them flying into the air and over the water.  Then they would land into the water.  It looked just like something Kate and my boys would do.  I got the hibby jibbies watching them.  I was so afraid one of them would break their neck or leg or something.  People all over the beach were watching them.  I am sure they do this quite a bit.
Waimea Beach

Elder Grant & Sister Marlene Nielson
Denis and I did not do much this week.  Thursday we took tickets but went home and did not stay to eat.  He reads a lot and I either sew or do Mary and Josephs.  Thursday at noon a little college girl called me and said she was in a pickle.  I laughed!  I thought that was an old fashioned expression.  She was on her way to Turtle Bay to babysit a baby seal on the beach.  It had been born in January.  She said the mother is weening herself from the baby and they watch it 12 hours a day so no dogs or humans can hurt it.  It needs to get accustomed to real life just like our children do.  Anyway she was to be there at 1 P.M.  and her scooter broke down.  She had about 7 miles to go.  She parked it and called us.  We took her on down to Turtle Bay.  She would be done at 4:30 and ride the bus back.  When she got back to the scooter someone had stolen it.  She still had not learned anything about it today.

Friday Denis was in heaven.  Elder Nielsen's car had broke down and they towed it to the PCC and parked it.  He was down underneath trying to see what was wrong with it.  Him and Eikika were trying to jump it etc.  Elder Nielsen was just standing, watching.  When Denis crawled out from underneath it he was covered in grease.  He said the car was filthy all over.  He had a big blotch of grease in his hair.  The only part that was black.  Saturday Denis went to Koneohe for the starter kit to fix it.  Tomorrow I suppose he will fix it while Grant is off with his friends who are here.  I could just see how Denis was enjoying the mess. Grant says he knows nothing about cars.
Fatye has come up with another reason to have a party.  Each month we will celebrate birthdays.  The little one on the left is Odmaa from Mongolia.  She has 2 children, works and goes to school.
Roger is 50, never married and from Australia.  He is the boss over wardrobe.  Elizza, in orange is a married woman, works full time and is our entertainment every day.  She is from Australia too and both of them really have accents.  I love to hear them talk.  They are blowing out the candles on their cake.
Saturday we went to Koneohe for several things and it poured rain all day.  We were going to stop and eat but I said to get some steaks and we could go home and grill them on the cooker.  He thought that was a good idea.  He gets so hungry for a good steak. They were very good and tender.
Church today and he gave the lesson.  It was on the prophets and it was a good lesson.  Today he got a lot of feedback from the students.  They seemed to enjoy the lesson as well as the treats.  We really enjoy the kids.  They are so nice.  I always save a place for the little girl I call Tomato.  She will come and sit by me and some days never say a thing.  Today she had gauze wrapped around both legs as well as on both arms.  One arm she kept scratching.  I asked her what was wrong and she just said she itched.  I finally took her little hand and held it so she would quit scratching.  She let me hold her hand and pretty soon she was gripping my hand as well.  She is such a mystery to me.  During Sacrament meeting she was weaving some little bracelets out of embroidery floss.  I asked her if she needed more floss.  She shook her head yes.  I told her I would get her some thread from Walmart.  Boy, she perked up and said, "Walmart, I want to go."  I asked her again if she really did and she said yes.  She has no phone so she gave me her e-mail address.  Denis' remark was she really could talk if she wanted to.  So we will take her to Walmart.  
It is time for bed.  Next Saturday we will miss Brady's wedding but I am hoping someone will Skype it for us. I can't think too hard on what I miss out on with my family.  I know I will  be blessed for serving a mission.  Have a good week.  Love, Sherleen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!