This week was the birthday for our country. Celebrating
over here is not parades and lots of fireworks. They do light fireworks
but only at certain places. Neighborhoods do not shoot off fireworks
like at home. I think they all move to the beach and camp. The parks
were wall to wall with tents and more tents. Gosh- you could hear your
neighbor snore, or burp or worse they were so close.
There were some
missionary couples that got together and had a dinner. During the daytime
we went for a ride and ended up at the Arizona again. The couple we
were with had not been for years so we stopped. Being the 4th of July, they
were not really busy so we went on the boat over to the Arizona
Monument. They had about 24 great big ships docked at Pearl Harbor.
One was the Ronald Reagan Navy ship. It held over 80 aircrafts (jets
and helicopters) as well as housed about 6000 Navy soldiers. When we
got to the park it was just full of soldiers in pure white Navy
uniforms. They were so crisp and white it took your breath. What a
beautiful sight to see so many soldiers from many countries. They were
from Mexico, China, India, United States, and many other countries. The
soldiers from India had big white turbans wrapped around their heads.
They were doing some kind of maneuvers with all of the ships and would be
there for 4 months. They were having a day off so were visiting the
Arizona Monument. I will always think of that sight forever more on the
fourth of July.
![]() |
| Looking at the Ronald Reagan carrier |
![]() |
| Naval Hospital |
My sidekick Cathy did not come to work this week so
things were kind of quiet. She had family here. Flies have now hatched
from the maggots and talk about a swarm of big black flies. I think I
will take rats over maggots and tons of flies.
Last night we met a
new couple from Denver Colorado. They are a new couple missionary.
They are living right next door to us. He is the new welder to replace
Reed Nielsen from Paradise. He asked us if we knew a Terry Miller from
Cache Valley. I could not believe it. He was Terry's missionary
companion in the Southern States.
| Trees are just full of blooms. Talk about popcorn popping on the trees! |
| Kara, a girl I was working with is posing for some kind of advertisement. |
| The students who work for food and beverage had a talent show. Sang and danced from shows like Grease, Footloose etc. We really enjoyed their music and enthusiasm. |
| Kids who pose with tourists for pictures at Prime Dining. We were taking tickets there. |
| A hibiscus I picked off the bush outside. |
Today we met Court and JaNae
Naumann and went to church with them and had dinner. They had their 2
youngest kids with them, Dallin and Katie. Really good-looking kids.
As we were walking them to the car, our landlord came out of the house.
Court recognized him from 15 years ago. Scott's sister was a secretary
in Court's office. She lined Scott up to take them night fishing when
Court's family came to Hawaii years ago. Scott could remember doing that. What a small
world we live in. They enjoyed church and being with the students. It
was testimony meeting today and Naumann's enjoyed hearing their
testimonies. I will really miss these kids when I go home.
Back to work tomorrow. We have only 1 more fast meeting before we go home. Can't believe the time is getting short. I want to enjoy every minute of what we have left, even if I am sweating. Have a good week and be safe. Also count your blessings.
Love, Sherleen





No comments:
Post a Comment
Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!