One month has gone by and 17 months to go. Tonight we
are glad that Sunday is over. Denis and I had to speak in Sacrament
meeting. It is not my favorite thing to do. We have no printer and no
materials to get our talks from. We do have the computer but luckily I
took the Nov. Ensign with the conference talks in them. Denis was not going
to write his out long hand so he went downstairs to see if one of the
little girls would type it for him. He was going to pay them. They
were at the beach so Dianah, the mom typed it for him. I just long
handed mine.
| This is the entrance to the university - the David O. McKay building |
| I love this saying. I based the talk I gave today on it. |
Yesterday was graduation for a lot of the students. Their families were with them today. It has been rainy all weekend.
Yesterday we went in the car for a ride just so we could cool down. It
was very muggy all day. We found a State Park where you could camp.
A lot of tents were pitched under palm trees and on grass. The beach was
not too far away and the ocean was their enjoyment. I usually think of camping as being in the dirt with weeds and mud. I've decided I could camp like this.
Tuesday we took a sister missionary from Switzerland named Helenia and
Dorothy, who is Dianah's mom from Samoa, to the commissary. It was very
interesting to talk to them and find out the differences from both
countries. I really like Helenia. We work together at the Give and
Take. She is very fiesty but kind and works hard. She raised 3
children by herself. Also very pretty. She rides a bicycle wherever
she goes. She has no car, but is very independent. Wednesday I went
with Sis. Palmer to be taught how to make little Mary and Joseph out of
Sculpting clay. They are about 2" and 2 1/2" tall. Baby Jesus is
about 1/2" tall. We bake the clay in different stages and when they are
all done we paint on the faces and put on the clothes. They then are
put in cleaned out coconuts that have been cut in half and made to look
like a stable for baby Jesus with a coconut tree beside them and some
little sheep. Sis. Palmer was taught by another missionary and now she
is teaching me because she will go home in 4 months. They sell them at
the PCC for $40.00 a piece. They sell about 10-15 a week and more over
Nov and Dec. She is very specific about the proportions.
| Making the little heads and bodies of Mary & Baby Jesus |
I've been
sewing Denis's and my shirt and matching mumus. Got them finished this week.
Then Thursday we went to the temple for the first time since we have been
here. They just finished remodeling it about 2 years ago. It is so
tiny. Each room will hold about 15 men and 15 women. You go to a
different room between each kingdom. The celestial room only does 4
people at a time. I felt like I was in a little doll house. It is very
beautiful and reverent feeling. Denis and I were the only white people
except for 2 men who are temple workers. I looked over at Denis and he was sitting
between two huge Hawaiians or Tongans or such. I couldn't help but
giggle. He looked so small and old compared to them. One of their legs
were as big as both of his. The people over here are very spiritual
and take their religion so seriously. I have a ways to go to be like
them. I am so amazed at the students from all of these countries that
have served missions and now are preparing to help out their own
countries.
| Old McDonalds next to PCC that will be torn down for a Marriott Hotel. |
| These two pictures are for you, Fran. |
It has been so muggy this week, I don't think I have ever
experienced so much humidity. I said that before but I am not kidding, I
can hardly stand it! We have no air conditioning and so we have 4 fans
going in our apt. Saturday we just stayed home and worked on our talks
and got the Skype working so we talked to some of our little people from home
for awhile. Between Kelly and the little girl downstairs helping us we
got it to work. I got to watch Bridger dance in the background, Kynlee
pick her nose and Maya play the piano for us. I loved it. I just
couldn't smell them which Grandma loves to do. I think of all of you
every day and its funny what I wonder about and who I think of and how
all of you are doing. Take care for another week.
Love, Sherleen
Sounds like you are learning new ways and crafts to make. You will have to share when you get back. I bet you two are missing the little grandkids. I'm sure they are missing you. Is the ocean warm enough for you to swim or cant you do that? Well keep busy that will help with the homesickness. Love, Deaun
ReplyDeleteSherleen! I feel so bad for you and your heat! I can only imagine. Savanna dreammed that you had to come back here for a Stake Girls camp trek! You are obviously on our mind. Good luck with the warm weather!
ReplyDeletexo Bonnie