Monday, April 8, 2013

4-7-13


These bins are all over campus.  We go and tip them over and dig in them.

This week has been a busy week.  The kids are all getting ready for finals and for graduation.  That means they are getting ready to leave or go home.  The dumpsters are starting to fill up.  Some things are pretty good and some things are garbage.  We sort and re-sort and dig and dig.  
I work with a really fun lady from Idaho who is a spit fire and about 4'10 and a tall classy woman from Switzerland.  We laugh at some of the stupid and ugly things that we get.  I was sorting through a bunch of junk the other day and found a round disc that was wrapped up.  It looked like soap or a candle wax or something like that.  I read on the label that it was sex wax to wax your stick.  We started to laugh and laugh trying to imagine what the heck it was.  The lady from Switzerland was totally appalled.  We gave it to Eugene when he came later and he was not surprised at all.  It was wax for surf boards.  Here was old lady missionaries with who knows what on their minds.  

This building and the green one are where I work.

This is Eugene.  He is a student from Malaysia that works with us.  He does all our computer work.

I have been sewing on my mumu and Denis's shirt.  They match and will look real pretty when I get them done.  We have to wear them when we take tickets at the luaus. 

Wednesday we went to another town where a Macy's is and another Ross's.  It takes about 1 hr. to get there.  It is a bigger town than Hauula.  We finally got our Missionary tags.  We are to wear them when we go out and about.  It is amazing the people who ask us about being missionaries.  Some want to talk and talk.  I have to remind myself that I am a example for the church and to be kind and good to everyone I meet.  
I can't act irritated at people.  

The trees we are in front of are roots grown upward and then they grow back down again.  They are called banyon trees.
Kathy & her husband Gary are from Idaho Falls.  We work together at Give and Take.

Saturday we went to the swap meet at the college by Honolulu.  It went on for miles.  I thought of Mike and Debbie at the swap meets.  It was so hot and humid I thought I would die.  I didn't cool off all day.  They said the swap meet has been going for 30 years.  It goes clear around the outer area of the football stadium. 

This week Denis and I have to get talks for sacrament meeting Sunday.  Scares me to death.  I don't like to do this.  We got conference this morning at 6 a.m. and 10 a.m.  Tonight they replayed the Sat. night Priesthood session at the stake center.  

We miss all of you ---last night I was pretty homesick but upward and onward I will go, 
trying to keep Denis happy.  Good night.
Love, Sherleen

8 comments:

  1. I can't stop laughing!! I can just picture the look on your face now when you read the wax LOL! Humidity is not fun,hang in there! I'm glad you work with fun gals,that makes a huge difference :) I'm sad you were homesick but just remember your doing what you should be :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to read your posts and keep updated. When I told my "walking buddies" where you were, they are all jealous! I think we need a trip to Hawaii before you come home! Loves to you and Coop too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask dad if he has permission to wear his tag on his pants pocket or if that's just how all the cool kids are doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! It's fun to see where you go dumpster diving. You'd think they would hsve latex gloves and goggles for you to wear. I think of you and Denis often. Your blog postings sre great and entertaining. I like to check in often. Love you and miss you. Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherleen you crack me up! So glad to hear you're doing good, we love to see your pictures and read your updates! Love, Yode and Jeanette :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memo: Missionaries, please leave all waxing products alone. Can't wait to see you two in your mumu and big shirt. I went to the big swap meet when I was there last, found the best prices on big conch sea shells there. Keep smiling! We love you. Sandra, Stu and Kids

    ReplyDelete
  7. You keep me laughing Sherleen! Love to hear your adventures. Vickie H.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherleen, I am glad you lasted so long before you swore! I am missing sitting by you on Sunday! I love the pictures and stories and most of all I can't imagine you dumpster diving! I am glad that they save everything for someone else. ox Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!