Sunday
March 31st.
Easter Sunday ---No Easter baskets, no dyed eggs, no little
children. Just the thoughts of Easter Sunday and what Jesus did for
us.
| This is the view from the church we would go to, but we were assigned to a student ward instead. |
We went to church and my heart just aches for those little foreign
kids that leave their families without being able to go home for maybe
2-3 years. Some don't go home at all until they graduate from school.
Some only have what they earn here at the PCC. They have to work 19
hours a week in order to keep their scholarships. Today was testimony
bearing and they are so humble and grateful for everything they have.
Most of them that go to our ward have been on missions or are already
preparing to go. Some look like they are 14-15 years of age. Many are
the only ones in their families who are members. I really respect them
for all they have accomplished and for their discipline to make
something of themselves. After church they had a linger longer and
served cocoa rice and big slices of bread. The cocoa rice was not
good. It was cooked rice with kind of a sweet cocoa water over it. It
tasted like the cocoa was scorched but that is what real cocoa from
Samoa tastes like. The kids acted like they were starved. I wondered
how many really were.
On Tuesday we had a day off because it was King
Poopapoop (or something like that) day. About 6 couples went down to some
mountain by Honolulu and went for a hike to see a light house and to
watch the whales blow. It was a steep hike. Another lady and I stopped
about half way up and sat on rocks and watched the whales. First you
would see them blow the water, then their heads would bob, and then you
would see their tails come up. Quite a sight. As you looked down over
the mountain you could see a little village and a mountain behind them.
It had been a volcano and half of the mountain was gone but green
foliage has grown in. Very beautiful. We then went to Spaghetti
Factory and ate. I was tired and sunburned when we got home.
| This is the view from our hike. |
| This is a volcano we could see hiking. |
This week
we have been cleaning out the worst of the worst clothes at Give and
Take because it is the end of the semester and the kids are leaving.
Kathy says we get all kinds of things because they only take what will
fit in their suitcases. The other day I was carrying some things to
another building to put away and I felt something on my arm . I looked
down and it was a gecko spread out resting on my arm. First time I have
sworn since I have been out here. Scared me to death. I screamed
bloody murder.
In sewing we have been sewing costumes for the king and
his counts. The PCC was having a grand opening for the new Hawaiian
village. People from all over the island came to it.
Every evening we
go for a ride or search out new areas. There is a place called the
north point. It is very rocky and stands up above the ocean. The day
we went out there it was very cloudy and rainy. It always seems very
dismal and spooky to me on these days. Denis is trying to find him a
fishing hole but it's been rainy all week so he hasn't gone.
| These pictures are all of the North Point here in Hauula. |
Yesterday we went with another couple to Costco and bought a memory foam mattress topper. Last night was the first good night's sleep we have had. Denis is
so tickled with his new mattress top. He could bend any direction
today. He had thought he was just developing another old person hitch. Kelly is sending
over his mug from home so with his fishing pole, his mug and a better
bed he should be a happy camper- because he sure hasn't been.
As for me
and my hair, we are still around. Everyone has given me the same
advice. "It will grow!" But in the meantime I look like a geek with
fat cheeks. It has grown a titch.
Dear Coop and Sis! Good to hear/read/see your events and happenings. Fun to read, great to see the photos!! Good luck Coop on finding a fishing hole... (by the way, it's called the pacific ocean).
ReplyDeleteAs always, take care, have fun.
StuB
Brother and Sister Cooper (I love that),
ReplyDeleteKelly gave me your blog and I stalked it this afternoon. I just love you guys. You make me feel "normal". Congratulations on making it so long without swearing, I can't make it through a girl's camp. I love to hear your stories...of course they have more flair coming from Kelly, but the pictures are beautiful. We will give your sweet grand kids a hug (Maya thinks I am weird, but Syd will let me hug her all day)and maybe even drive by your flag pole (Lane really loves it) in your honor. We are thinking of you!
Lane and Cara Nielson
Sounds like you are settling in. The island looks quite remote. But sure beautiful. Miss you here, but sure sounds like a wonderful place to be. Love Deaun
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad Denis slept better and your hair has grown a little :) love reading your blog!
ReplyDeleteHiking and no swearing?!?! You've changed mom, you've changed. Miss you. Let me know if dad received his crusty beetle shell pillow.
ReplyDelete