Monday, July 15, 2013

7-15-13

This week will be a blog with no pictures.  My card on my camera is full and at Walmart and Long's Drug they tell me my camera is too old so I can not get a new card to fit it.  I need to empty it on an external hard drive and I say "What is that?"  We bought one but now Kelly has to try and explain how to install it and take the pictures off of the camera card so I can use it again.  

This week was a good week but I was not so energetic, I kind of thought maybe I was a little homesick.  Our 4 months out here was on the 11th and maybe soon I can say that 1 year has gone by.  The winds blew gently all week and we have had rain storms off and on so the weather has been more enjoyable.  

In sewing we have been getting ready for the Promotional Show in Utah.  The PCC will have a float on the 24th in SLC.  It is of a fish blowing water from a spout.  They are going to show part of the Breath of Life Show in Salt Lake and in Provo.  You can buy tickets for it.  They are trying to advertise and get more people aware of what is going on over here.  

I have been working on a quilt which was done years ago over in Fiji by a little old lady who did the whole thing in 1/2 inch squares.  It is beautiful but it has mold and stains on it.  We are putting a backing and a border on it because they want it for the show in Utah.  It is used for a ceremonial quilt to wrap around the bride and groom during their marriage ceremony.  The sides are very uneven and ripply and I need Joyce over here to help me.  Many times I have thought "Where is Joyce when I need her?"  For everyone who is wondering who is Joyce, she is an expert quilt maker who had been helping teach me how to make quilts.  I finished my second one just before I left on our mission.  

Denis has been working alone this week.  His two little buddies have been gone.  Cannon, the one who drives him nuts flew to Oregon because some girl had sent him a plane ticket to come and see her.  He is from India.  Ekika (Eee-Ky-Ka) is an apprentice for PCC and Denis really likes him.  He is so cute, smiles all the time with the whitest teeth you have ever seen.  He is married and a good kid but full of _____ and vinegar.  He was riding his dirt bike and happened to go onto some private ground.  An old man drove up to the gate and locked him in.   Ekika tried to make him unlock the gate but it only made the man mad.  The man started to yank on his helmet and wanted to fight.  Ekika beat him up and I guess he got hurt pretty bad also.  It has been pretty hush hush.  Denis went over to see Ekika but he didn't come down.  It will be interesting to get the rest of the story. 

Denis and I have taken tickets twice this week but we are getting to where we don't stay and eat.  You would think one would never tire of prime rib, crab legs and shrimp but we do.  Saturday we made a circle of the island going to Macey's, Sam's Club and Walmart.  They are all in different towns.  

Today was Sunday and we go to church at noon.  At church today we heard from a boy from Fiji,  one from Hong Kong and a girl from Tonga.  The R.S. lesson was by a little girl from New Zealand.  The boy from Fiji is the Elder's Quorum President.  He told a story of when he was a missionary sent to the Marshall Islands.  He only had a few months left and they sent him to a really remote island.  He ate coconuts, slept on coconut leaves and lived in a little shelter with only a roof over their heads.  One night he was sleeping with his companion and he woke about midnight to some voices who were talking about killing the 2 missionaries.  He awoke his companion and they took off running.  He ran for 6 hours and he was so weak from running but he testified that he knew the Lord blessed him with strength to get away.  He lost his companion during the escape but somehow they both ended up back with the mission president.  He wanted them to go back to this island and finish out the mission.  He said he just cried and told the mission president that he wanted to stay alive so he could go home.  He only had 3 weeks left.  The president told him "No, I want you to go back."  He obeyed the mission president and went back.  He said in his remaining 3 weeks they converted 3 of the 9 men who set out to kill them.  He testified of Jesus Christ and said how he loves him and how Jesus knows each one of us.  We are to obey him and we will be blessed.  I always feel like my faith and testimony is so small compared to these college kids.  

I have been making more Josephs and Marys tonight.  In one month I will be making them by myself.  Sister Palmer and her husband will be going home.  We all hate to see them go.  Elder Palmer is over all the Senior Missionaries.  
Have a good week and take care and be obedient to the Lord.  
Love Sherleen

1 comment:

  1. Sherleen! I haven't written in so long! Summer happened and well that isn't a good excuse. Girls camp was a blast...the stake really out-did themselves and the girls had a blast! I sure did miss you. Amanda did a good job though. We laugh about you cussing the weather and I can only imagine how hot it must be without AC. There are some new changes on the horizon that I am excited about. There are also some challenges that make life interesting. I hope I survive both! Have a great week and good luck with the camera and card. It isn't too hard, you'll get it figured out! xoxo Bon and Bryan and girls

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!