We have been getting a lot of stuff at Give
and Take. It is getting to be a real issue. We are getting known
enough around the area that everyone is bringing all their junk to us. Someone
either died or went to a retirement home and their kids cleaned out her
house. We had boxes and boxes of old material, books on crafting, lace,
christmas stuff and reels and reels of Christmas ribbon. (Kind of
looked like my house!) College kids don't need that stuff! Our purpose
is to supply those kids with things that they need. We are just the
dump for town's people. I was disappointed because Halina, the lady from
Switzerland that works for Give and Take is quitting and going to spend
full time at PCC. I really like her and she is a worker. Very out
spoken about her ideas but very kind and good. She is beautiful! We
laugh a lot and I will miss her.
Tricia asked me about the Statue of Ma Manuhi'i of Molokai. This statue had been made of a little Hawaiian woman that had taken care of Joseph F. Smith and sits in the garden adjacent to the Laie Temple. This story was told in a BYU devotional as follows:
"During Joseph F. Smith’s first mission to Hawaii from
1854 to 1857, he lived in primitive conditions on the island of Molokai. He had been
called to serve when he was only 15 years of age, and had become
seriously ill. Joseph was sick for nearly three months during which time
a loving Church member, Sister Manuhi’i, tenderly cared for him until
he fully recovered. When President Smith returned to Hawaii in
1915 to dedicate the temple site for the Laie Temple, Sister Manuhi’i
came to the dock in Honolulu to bid him aloha. By that time she was 90
years old. She had with her a bunch of bananas as her gift for him. When
he appeared, she cried out, “Iosepa, Iosepa.” President Smith ran to
her, took her in his arms and kissed her. He called her “Mama, Mama, my
dear sweet Mama” as tears ran down his cheeks. It was indeed a tender
reunion. Her loving care and charity in his time of need had not been
forgotten by the prophet."
They made this statue in remembrance
of her. It is beautiful and in such a pretty surroundings behind the
temple.
Saturday we rode down to Sam's Club and over to Walmart. Did our daily errands and enjoyed the cool air in the car. I taught Sunday School today. It was on obeying the Sabbath and I had made a Jeopardy game to play. The kids had so much fun. I had taken Laffy Taffy and Star Bursts for treats when they got a question right. They have such funny names I can't remember them. I thought one boy's name was Boy Boy and it was Moy Moy. The kids all think I am nuts. I never thought I would be teaching kids from all around the world.
| We were eating at a outdoor restaurant and the birds were thick cleaning up everyone's plates. |
Denis and I kind of get bored from having no company to visit, so any time you all would like to drop in you are welcome. Have a good week.
Love, Sherleen
I would love to drop in! Glad you got your camera working again!
ReplyDelete