Today is Father's Day and I wish everyone a happy one. I
think back to dad and Denis' dad and if I think too much I will really
miss them. Seems like a long time since they have been with us. Denis
is at church by himself. I have a cold and a sore throat. First one I
have had since we came to Hawaii. Today after church we are going to
the beach for lunch. We are going to cook steaks and have potato
salad. It is our last Father's Day here.
Monday we worked all day at the center. Nothing unusual. For Home Evening we had President Werner and his wife speak to us. They are so busy with all of the young missionaries. He said that kids are so young and immature that they have a lot of problems. We have been turned over to Elder Pollack entirely (even for recommends).
Tuesday was work day and ticket taking at the Polynesian Center. Some days are really long and tiresome. Other days we seem to have more energy. Then Wednesday was a Kings holiday. We had it off, so us and another couple rode down to Honolulu and visited the King's Museum. It was a large cement block building that was 3 floors high. It was built with beautiful wood throughout. He had collected everything that told of the Hawaiians history. I tend to travel pretty quickly because I find this stuff not too interesting. He must have been a rich king.
| Entrance to Bishop's Museum |
| Walking up to the big building king had built |
| Kings robes that were made out of feathers |
| Ships that they used to sail in |
| Feather mats that they made |
| Tells about the bird that the feathers were taken from |
We went into another
building that told us about the stars and planets. I didn't know too
much about that either. We laid back in chairs and looked at the
ceiling which had all of the stars. It was kind of interesting to think of
our vast universe and all that goes into the making of it. The next
building was all about volcanoes and how they work. After that we went
home. We were museumed out. We were going to go out to eat but we stopped
at Cosco's and got some things and just decided to have a hot dog and a
sundae.
Thursday and Friday Cathy (the other missionary) and I were
in charge of about 8 students who were working in the costume department
cleaning. The boss lady and TuTu were gone and will be gone until next
Thursday. We have to go in an hour early each day. The kids are so
cute. I have been helping a girl from New Zealand do some sewing. She
had hardly sewn and wanted to be able to make the leaves good. She has
worked and worked at it. By Friday she was quite pleased with herself.
She had such a cute accent. You can tell the New Zealand kids by the
way they talk.
Friday night about 8 couples went to a restaurant
called Haleiwa Joes. It had decks where you sat outside and could look
down onto the landscaping and mountains. We are so cheap! Most of us
split plates but if we don't we would be twice as fat as we are.
Visited and had a nice time. I think that is one of the nice things
about this mission. There are so many couples to do things with and get
to know.
| Dinner at Haleiwa Joes |
| Beautiful scenery we looked down upon |
Saturday my cold was coming on so Denis went up to George's
to fix some wiring and I stayed home and did my little clay people. By
afternoon our landlord turned off our water to put in a new water
heater so we decided to go for a ride. Got groceries and some things
Denis needed for the wiring job. Turned into a five hour ride and I was
ready to go home. The weekend will be over and back to work. One more
week down. I think Denis is keeping closer track of the days than I
am. Not too long now!
Love, Sherleen
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!