Monday, June 23, 2014

6-23-14

I was reading the Herald Journal on the computer and it had all of Hyrum's fourth of July happenings.  I couldn't believe we were into the summer that far.  Usually about now I am doing invitations for the family picnic in our backyard.  Next year we will resume that activity.  Time has gone by really quickly but on the other hand I am forgetting the names of stores in town, where people live and so forth.  It seems so long since I have been home and walking the streets of Hyrum.
 
This week I have had the first cold of our mission and it hit with a vengeance.  I got it in my head and chest.  Missed two days of work and all I did was lay and sleep.  I am feeling better now, we will see if Denis gets it. 

The boss and the little Samoan lady Tou Tou have been gone so Sister Tremea and I have been in charge of 8 kids who are off break at school.  They have been really good and worked really hard.  A romance was budding between a couple of them but we pretended not to notice.  
 
The rat story only gets worse.  To date we have caught 23 rats.  Last week a maintenance man came in and crawled up into the ceiling with some Decon.  Denis said we will be sorry for that.  Well this Monday we could smell a really foul odor coming from somewhere.  It kind of smelled like natural gas but we knew it wasn't that because they don't have that over here.  We walked around with our shirts over our noses.  Finally Cathy said she thought it was coming from the air-conditioning vents.  Sure enough it got stronger when we stood under them.  Smelled just like rotting rats or dead animals.  We told the office and nothing was done.  They didn't have to smell it.  A couple of days later a little Asian girl was sitting under the vents and out fell some maggots.  We all about lost it.  They were alive and wiggling.  We searched the little girls hair to see if she had any in there.  Cathy (a missionary lady) was so mad that she marched down to the office and told them they had to do something or we were not coming back.  The next day I told her we were going over to Pres. Grace office and sit until they let us in to talk to him about the mess.  Well, the maintenance has been in and crawled up and vacuumed out the ceiling and scrubbed the big vents.  The little Asian girl had on one of those masks and wore all morning.  I really don't blame her.  We all needed them. We didn't have go to the Pres. office.   So  much for the rat saga!

Took tickets twice this week.  I keep waiting for someone to come through the line who we know and really surprise us.  Denis has been working up at George's wiring in some outdoor lights and switches for him at his vacation rentals.  Too bad we haven't anyone to come over and stay.  Denis could get a good deal for you.  Saturday was a slow day.  Denis wired in the morning and I worked on Mary and Joseph's.  Went for a ride and found a good place that had fish and french fries.  Enjoyed the air conditioning in the car. 

Gave my lesson today in Sunday School on the gifts each individual has been given from our Father in Heaven.  I am 63 years old and I still haven't discovered what they are.  I have been thinking a lot about that this week and I am still thinking.  A lot of the students have gone home for the 5 week break so we are kind of low in numbers.  Today we told a little girl from the Philippines good-bye.  She is always smiling and so friendly to everyone.  We really took a special liking to her.  I would love to introduce her to a friend of mine who went to the Philippines on a mission.  Oh well! 
 Have a good and safe week.  The time is flying by.  I am going to have to buy more toilet paper before we go home.  
Love, Sherleen

1 comment:

  1. You have SOmany talents! You made me the cutest towel and table runner when we moved in our house and you also made me a cute bunny I set out at Easter and I always think of you and smile when I see them. I wish I could make things like that! Plus you are SO funny and always make me feel so loved when I see you. You have many talents and I wish I had a few like you :). That rat story is awful!! I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, question or leave messages!